What a way to start 2011… getting word that personal information that I’ve never posted or permitted to be posted on the internet is somehow out there for the public to see. At least this one website tried to post information about me that is either incorrect, close to correct or without any permission for it to access such information.
A friend of mine posted on Facebook about Spokeo.com, a website that supposedly gathers all your information from social media and puts it all together in a form of a phonebook. However, if you never intended to have your address, phone number, FICO credit score and income out there to the world… yes and for under $3 a month, a stalker can have immediate access to even more of your private information!! WTF?! I know I never permitted this site to access or post my information on it’s site!
How to remove yourself?
- Go to the website, Spokeo.com
- Search for yourself, start with your full name
- Once over the initial shock of all the information they have on you, copy the URL address
- Click the “See More” button that should be at the bottom right
- At the bottom of the page, click the “privacy” link, DO NOT PURCHASE ACCESS
- Follow the instructions to have yourself removed
- Once done, make sure your information is infact removed by searching for yourself again
- Share this information with your friends
Also, make sure you do not give permission for any website you’re with to share your information with third parties. For example, under your privacy settings on Facebook, make sure it doesn’t share your information with other websites or applications. Always clear out applications and websites that you don’t use from being connected to your Facebook or Twitter. If you do this at least once a month, you should have your information as private as possible. A better way to protect yourself is to NOT POST YOUR PRIVATE INFORMATION ANYWHERE! I can’t tell you how many times I have to remind people to remove their address and phone numbers from their Facebook page!
Until next time, Happy New Year! May this be your year to shine! =)